Aker Solutions, KazGiproNefteTrans
Many steel structures with and without processing equipment need to be constructed for the exploration of the oil fields in the Caspian Sea, of which the Kashagan oil field is most important at this moment.
Aker Solutions from Norway and KazGiproNefteTrans (KGNT) from Kazakhstan have established a joint venture under the name of Aker Caspian. This company will construct steel modules up to a maximum of 22,000 ton. Aker Caspian has chosen an area of about 35 ha for the fabrication of these modules. The yard will be adjacent to the south and east side of the international port in Aktau.
Prior to the start of constructing and assembling the steel structures, the following works for the yard will be carried out:
- elevating the low land area with 1-2 m filling material
- reclaiming an area of about 4 ha from the port basin
- construction of a quay wall with a length of about 225 m
- construction of an off-loading platform for modules varying from 200 up to 22,000 ton. The modules to be off-loaded are transported from the construction/assembling location to the barges by skidding or by transport through multi-wheel vehicles. Barges with dimensions of 100 x 16 m up to 180 x 100 m, the biggest in the world at the moment, are used for transport of the modules to the various locations in the Caspian Sea
- dredging a part of the port basin in front of the quay wall
As the reclamation and the quay wall are located next to the refreshing opening in the breakwater that protects the port basin, the new yard structures should not disturb the refreshing system of the whole port basin.
Aker Caspian will carry out the construction and assembling works partly in building with a size of 120 x 175 x 35 m.
Witteveen+Bos Kazakhstan is carrying out the design works of the marine, civil and foundation works of the yard and will coordinate the engineering activities. An essential part of the preparation activities for the yard will be arrangements of the all the required permits that are needed before the construction of the yard can start.